I’m one of those sad individuals who needs a blanky when they snuggle down on the sofa. Even if the fires on I still need my blanky.
I usually end up having to make my own though, as the ones available in the shops are all made from revolting man made fibres that make me shudder to touch them – either that or are so expensive that even my well practiced convoluted girl logic can’t justify the expense.
Anyway, at last November’s re-enactor’s market I bought a metre and a half of yummy black and silver silk brocade. It’s far too modern for any costume I’d make, so I intended it as an edging for a new blanky.
The middle ended up being the same deep red wool I used for my christmas coat.
I had to measure very carefully – there was some complicated maths went into working out just how wide the silk strips could be on a metre and half square. Turned out they weren’t quite as deep as I would have liked.
The process, by the way, is quick and simple, as its just an oversized version of bias binding, except done on the straight grain of the silk. I machined the inner edge into place and handsewed the second seam as machining would have looked intrusive.
This plainer version will probably end up being used more if Gareth has his way. He likes minimalism, and my old blanky was deliberately made to annoy him
I made this older one by using up the contents of my scrap silk box, and it has several bits left over from my silk boots and various costumes. Gareth hates it because it’s multi coloured and doesn’t fit with his taste for bland interiors.
I like new blanky, but if I’m perfectly honest, I prefer the old one – it’s more me!