King RIchard the Lionheart at Nottingham
WE have been doing the Robin Hood festival at Nottingham castle for many many years now, almost twenty I think, and its one of my favourites of the year, not least because being in October you dont swelter in the heat.
Am posting this partly to remind myself of thing I want to improve about the display. We do the court of King Richard, with John as Dicky, and various courtiers(mostly this year courtesy of JOhn and Becky of the Albini household), and the public get to come and have an audience with his majesty.
I am still content with the crown I made, but for next ear I want john to have several chunky rings for flunkies to kiss, at least one of which I want to base on the signet of richard that ‘s in the BM
I also intend to invest in some small modern tent pegs that can be hammered right the way into the ground to peg the red carpet down so I dont have to spend the entire weekend adjusting the damn thing
And I need to iron a spot of candlewax off the largesse hanging
I quite like this arrangement for when we don’t use the full church tent, but its needs improving.
– I want to work out a way to get some hangings behind it to make it seem less of an afterthought
– 1 want to make a small antependium for the little table, as the Rekjahlid one will be too big for this use. I quite fancy doing on from the silk velvet John gave m for my last birthday, but am a little torn as to date. I’ve only ever embroidered on cotton velvet, many many years ago, and it was a total sod. I admit I haven’t looked in much depth yet, but early religious silk done on velvet seems to be embroidered striaght onto the velvet, whereas the technique of using separate slips seems much later – trouble is I’d rather do an earlier style piece, but I’d prefer to work slips. AM going to have to do some research to try and push back the transition as far as I can
– hopefully the proper frame for the tryptch will be done over the next year. I mean, I only enamelled it about ten years ago, so it hasn’t taken long. Also, If I get my act together I might be able to get wayne to make a better support for the cross – that way I could finally mount the rear panels that have been sitting in a box for five years.
We used to have a canopy for above the throne made from the same silk as the cushion the orb sits on, but I prefer the plain red silk one. I’m having a bit of a think because John wants a more structured canopy, which means building stivks into it to stiffen it, but the reason we did away with the old canopy was that we kept forgetting to pack the old one with sticks in as it didn’t fit into any of the boxes, so I don’t know what to do.
And I finally got round to making this piece of embroidery into an actual cushion, so now both the big chests have something comfy on top.