Tudor frock, Part 3
So, the gown. The choice of fabric for the gown was dictated, to be honest, by what was available, not by what I wanted, but because this dress is for working I’m not going to fuss too much. The gown will be made from another silk brocade – two brocades together is a bit busy, yes, but perfectly period. They don’t look as bad together as I orginally thought they would, one is small and light and the other large and dark, so there’s plenty of contrast.
There are a few clicks in the gown skirt though. The silk for the gown used to be my living room curtains, and I loved those curtains. When you get a kitten you take it as read that said kitten will inevitably climb your curtains, cos thats what kittens do, and they grow out of it.
Unfortunately a certain furry person is now three years old, wieghs a stone and a half, and still climbs curtains. So the curtains are about to embark on an exciting new career as a Tudor gown.
Yes, I know, I’m wearing a modern shirt underneath, it was only a trysie onsie.
However, what I did discover once I got some proper lacing tape to try on the kirtle was that the waist of it is waaay to big. Ok, so a big brocade like this was never going to be exactly slimming, but as it stands it makes me look positively lardy. The bust is about perfect, its just the waist thats out, which is decidedly odd as I used my own pattern from the yellow stash dress kirtle, and I’ve already taken it in once (I haven’t lost wieght). I’m going to have to go back and adjust it, and then the gown bodice as well, but the gown needed adjusting anyway as its a bit skewiffy at the front.
Then I think, what the hell, this is never going to be a tasteful ensemble anyway.
I have plenty of time to think it over though, as I’m going to have to put this on hold for a week as I have to spend time warping up a new loom for my local museum, so I won’t have time for anything else.