Noah’s ark progress
Whatever those animals are, they look extremely creepy with white eyes, maybe I’ll do thier eyeballs first…
There was a lot of procrastination over the background colour. I really wanted to use this brown (which is far more coppery than it looks on my monitor) – Partly because it was the closest I had to the background colour of the manuscript picture, and partly becuase it offered the best contrast to the other colours.
But there was only half a skien of it left after the antependium was done, with pretty much no chance of matching it if I went back and treid to dye more. I kept looking at it and trying to wiegh up whether or not there would be enough for the job.
Ok, so if I ended up having to fudge it and fill in some of the background with the other, slightly darker brown I had in the stash, then it wouldn’t be the end of the world. After all, its medieval embroidery with naturally dyed threads, and even in large historical pieces there are significant dye variations. I decided to just go for it and see what happened, hoping I would at least have enough for the laid work, even if I ended up having to do some of the couching in a different shade (also historically acceptable, in fact in later examples of this style, such as the Reykjahlid antependium, a contrasting couching thread is used to deliberate effect)
In the end, by practicing extreme parsimony, I managed both the laid and the couched work with one, yes one, whole thread left over.