Not as much progress as I intended

gold book 2

I have been very naughty – I was meant to be posting this to Alex about now, but as you can see it’s not ready.

My original intention was to pretty much dedicate my Easter hols to this, but that was before I realised John’s warrior coat needed finishing for Morpeth, so instead I had two and a half days on it. Never mind, I have a three day weekend next week, so maybe…

I’m not happy with the viens on the leaves, and I was thinking that I was going to have to go and buy some more gold thread to make them stand out more, but then at bedtime last night I realised I can probably get away with un-plying some of the thick gold twist and using one strand of that – it might be a little wavy, but it’s a perfectly acceptable period solution.

One thing I’ve noticed, as I’ve been looking at a few different velvet bound books while I work on this, is how the velvet looks. If you drape it, silk velvet is full of life and bounces with light, but when it kept immobile like this, as flat and taut as a supermodel’s stomach, it looses a lot of that life, which is a bit of a pity really.

Never mind, I’m going to make a silk velvet dress soon, then we’ll see

oh, and I only realised last night that I meant to have a word with Alex about binding some bookmarks into the pages, and I forgot to do it. I think I’m just going to go ahead and tablet weave some silk bookmarkers to send along with this when it’s eventually finished, and hope he can do that – I can’t see why not?

Advertisements

~ by opusanglicanum on April 11, 2013.

12 Responses to “Not as much progress as I intended”

  1. Oh wow. I really love this – ornamental leaves are my great weakness. 😉

  2. Simply gorgeous!

  3. It sounds like life got in the way again (doesn’t it always!), but it does look good. I like the idea of the tablet woven bookmarks. I didn’t know they could be incorporated in the binding – I would have thought anything heavier than a light silk ribbon would be too bulky?

    • am planning on weaving them from 60/2 nm silk, which is about the same thickness as sewing cotton. its a nightmare to work with but makes a very slim band. You never had one of those old hardbacks with a little ribbon integral bookmark? from what I understnad it wasn’t uncommon for early books to have several of those

      • Only tatty Reader’s Digest ones, and the tablet weaving I have seen has been pretty chunky. I know it’s possible to do fine work, but with some of these techniques the limit is quite hefty for reasons relating to the tension or level of twisting or knotting involved in the technique. For instance, I’ve tried lucetting with sewing thread and it snaps!

      • for period use tbalet weave shouldn’t be in the least bit chunky – acrhaeological finds are universally of quite fine threads – the only reason there’s so much chunky tablet weave around is bone idle re-enactors who can’t be arsed to do things properly (probably shouldn’t get me started on that one, it might get ranty)

        60/2 silk is fine for tablet weave, it’s just slow going

  4. It’s lovely and I can’t wait to see the silk velvet dress. BTW I have put something in the post for you today – I hope this doesn’t mean a trip to the sorting office for you at the weekend.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

 
%d bloggers like this: