Before we go any further, would like to point out that my smocked aprons are basically flights of fancy – there are smocked aprons depicted in illustrations, but what the smocking actually looked like on an apron is pretty conjectural, so I just have fun with it.
THis one is my third ever piece of smocking. I’m not sure my white apron is terribly robust, being worked with silk, so I decided to make an all linen one, and went with unbleached for a change. I like the idea that an all linen apron can be thrown into the washing machine after a muddy weekend, and hopefully it will become paler over time. This has been through the washing machine since I finished it, and a good pounding seems to have done it good.
I didn’t use smocking dots on this one, as the fabric has a twill, so I just did the pleats along the twill, then just did the smocking freehand, which is why it’s a little wonky.
I only wanted enough cloth for one apron, but Anwar gave me a roll-end, so I have enough for two more aprons – I quite fancy trying one with white linen thread for contrast.
Also, I am harbouring an urge to make a proper smockish smock of the kind worn by English farm labourers. I considered making one as a Christmas present for my Stepdad, Peter, so that he could wear it when he helps my mum out with her traditional costume stuff. Then I thought that wasn’t really fair on Peter, since when he helps my mum with her traditional costume stuff he’s really just acting as her Ken doll, so Maybe I should make it as a christmas present for my mum, who could then dress Peter up in it like a big Ken doll. Then it all got very confusing, so now I’m thinking that maybe they’re going to get a smock as a joint present next christmas – after I’ve studied the book on traditional smocks a bit better.