so this was meant to be a no brainer project after doing lots of complicated stuff, but then I ran out of spangles.
I have extra spangles now, so that’s all done. An ounce of spangles adds more wieght to the thing than you’d think.
except, as you can see, I was left twiddling my thumbs for a while waiting for the post, so I embellished.
I thought the thing might be a bit on the snug side, so I improvised an insertion seam. It’s based mostly on my imagination, so…
The the spangles still hadn’t turned up, so I added stuff along the edge. I had looked for a piece of lace at Kelmarsh, but the only thing available was the stuff from Tudor tailor, which is very pretty but very obviously machine made and synthetic – ok, but you don’t put in all the effort of hand embroidery and then cock it up with machine made lace, even if it’s very pretty machine made lace.
I started off with the simple one-loop edge shown in womens dress patterns of the c17th vol 2, then, as usual, went over the top and added an extra row of loops to make it look more elizabethan.
I sort of enjoyed my half-arsed messy first attempt at needlelace, even if it did remind me of naalbinding, which I thought was the most boring thing in the world even en if you include algebra and the gerund,but…I’m not too sure I actually like the coif any more.
It’s a bit frilly.
I don’t really do frilly.
~ by opusanglicanum on August 13, 2013.
Posted in costume, embroidery, finished, headdress, headgear, tudor
Tags: Blackwork, blanket stitch, buttonhole stitch, c16th, coif, detatched buttonhole stitch, elizabethan, embroidery, finished, linen, natural dye, needlelace, needlework, redwork, silkwork, spangles, stem stitch, tudor