Yes, I know, The Bayeux Tapestry is pretty damned predictable in terms of embroidery in a medeival re-enactment context, but allow me to explain.
Many years ago we ahd a small local museum called Margrove heritage centre. It was very popular with school parties, and back in those days there wasn’t much re-enactment going on in winter, so we used to loan them stuff for thier winter exhibitions. One exhibition was based around life at Skelton castle, and got one of the earliest rounds of lottery funding.
We loaned them quite a bit of stuff for that, and I also made several replicas of sections of the Bayeux Tapestry to illustrate aspects of early medeival life. One at least is still in the local museum department’s resource collection. However, about three years ago I found this unfinished piece in the bottom of a chest. It must have been there for almost fifteen years and I’d completely forgotten it’s existance, I must have just shoved it out of the way when I hadn’t finished it in time for opening night.
believe it or not those are naturally dyed threads – my first attempt if I remember rightly. There had never been intention to embrodier the borders, but luckily I’d left enough space to do so.
Anyway, I’ve kept it hanging around thinking that i might as well finish it once I’d got the antependium out of the way. Since I find myself ebtween projects for the next few weeks I hought I might as well get on with it, since although it’s a bit boring it would be useful sometimes to have a piece of bayeux tapestry in my display. I’m going to use the leftover wools from the antependium, which are much finer than the ones used for the rest of the piece, but never mind