Once upon a time…
…well, actaully, since about a week after I finished the Christmas coat, I’ve been wanting to make a fairytale/storytelling coat. I even had it roughly planned out in my head. Attempts at drawing said plans on paper were also made, hampered by the fact that although I can draw, I am very very lazy, and besides I find it easier to do these things in fabric.
Anyway, since I’ve been a very good girl and done samplers for the weald and downland course, since I have no other major project on the go, and since all my presents this year are either going to be done on the sewing machine or in silver, I decided to give myself weekday evenings between now and Christmas to play, and last night I got started.
First I had to take a new pattern from my old black coat, cos I’d lost the old one. ANd when I say I’d lost the old one I mean I never actaully got round to making one due to the whole thing where I couldn’t be bothered. So I cut the fabric straight from the shape of the old coat, just like last time. I am sure there are people who would be horrified by my cavalier attitude to pattern cutting, and to these people I say, pfffrrrrt!
I cut out the basic shape of the coat, but it was the colour choices for the pictures that took the time, and I finally settled on a blue dragon, cos he looks good against my purple wool. His wings were cut from a tiny A5 sample piece of wool brocade that I’ve been hoarding for over a decade, it will have to be sewn carefully because it’s not fullered like the meltons I normally use, I may even edge his wings in ribbon. I did consider using some silk scraps for the dragon, but in the end decided that I want this whole thing to be faithful to picklepatch style.
I haven’t decided yet whether or not he will breathe blue fire – he actaully goes the other way up, so he will eventually look as if he’s crawling up my back. Branston helped.
I couldn’t get a photo of the whole thing laid out because my workbench isn’t quite big enough, but I laid out the landscape that will run around the hem of the coat as well. I haven’t tacked it down yet – I rolled it up and put it to one side and will lie it back down once I’ve dealt with the dragon.
That came out wrong angled too, don’t know why. This will have a lot of embroidered detail, but before I do that I will sew down the hills and cut the purple cloth away from behind them so as not to make the hem of the coat too stiff.
And this is my lining fabric
It’s very seventies. It reminds me not only of the printed fabrics my mum had when I was a kid, but of several illustrated books of fairytails I used to have, so it seemed quite apt. Beside which, I like garish linings