A simple version of the Mammen vine scroll, and how to sew it freehand.
I wanted some embroidery on the hood I made the other day, and settled upon the vine scroll from the mammen finds because it’s a fairly generic vine scroll design which will comfortably cover most of the early medieval period. ( I refer you to flinders petrie’s book on decorative patterns.)
I’m working this only about half an inch wide because I much prefer a subtle dainty band on a hood.
I started by sewing a wiggle in stem stitch along the edge of the hood. The first row of stitches is the only really tricky part as it’s easy for the needle to wander into irregular curves, but once you’ve laid down that first row it’s a breeze to follow along with the next two rows. I chose this yellow as it contrasts nicely with both the red and green sides of the cloth. The colour is a third wash madder and is actually my favourite yellow from the last big dye-a-thon because it’s such a buttery shade.
Once the curve was worked I first embroidered the upper curve of each tendril. There are ways of working stem stitch so that it is more deeply layered, almost becoming a slanted satin stitch, and I did this at the end of the curve as it flicked out a little
Next I worked the inner curve, again thickening the end
Next I put in the central petal with a thickened stem stitch
Then I changed colour to a woad dyed thread to work the simple bars across the joins in the tendrils. It was at this point that I realised I much prefer the band without the bars, but hey ho
And finally I worked back along with little groups of three slanted stem stitches to form the buds, using an Undyed thread this time. The 5p is for scale.
In other news the course at the Weald and downland museum seems to have gone well this weekend, although I’m now a bit knackerded from all the driving. Paulette, who’d attended the ashmolean course, came along for seconds, which was flattering.
We had the worst pub meal ever on the way home though, at the hardwick inn near hardwick hall.