So I have a show second bank holiday Monday, doing Tudor embroidery. Trouble is my yellow kirtle was deliberately made to be cool for jumping around storytelling on hot summer days, and not for sitting still on cool spring bank holidays- and we all know what the weather’s like on bank holidays, don’t we? I can’t even wear the gown over it if I get cold because it’s a bit too elizabethan.
I decided to make a new kirtle from wool, which I will post later as I’m currently piecing together the dismembered bits from another frock. But when I was rootling through the big chest I found this…
Counted blackwork isn’t like me, yet I know I did this, I just can’t rememeber why. My best guess is that about 12 years ago we, along with many others, were hired by some bloke to do some border riever stuff at his castle in scotland, and that I must have done this then, probably just to pass the time. The castle bloke refused to pay anyone for the event, after loads of paying public had been in, because, you know, that never gets old, always gets a belly laugh that trick. He did pay in the end, but only after we threatened him with court action.
Anyway, I’m thinking if I cut this lengthways and machine stitch the edge with a zig zag, it ought to hold up ok for the cuffs of a shift, might as well use it for something.
I have been longing to make an early tudor gown for a while, but I’d been planning to make it from brown silk velvet. I wont have time to do that by the end of May because silk velvet needs to be handled at liesure. However, fearing the worst of the British bank holiday weather, I was thinking I might make up a nice woollen middling sort of gown, just in case, and a nice velvet partlet.
Unfortunately this has sent me into agonies of indecision over colour choices. I can have madder coloured kirtle with black gown and brown velvet partlet
or madder, brown and red
I really like the brown but the black looks nice too and now I’m all, “AAAARRRGH!!!!”