Yesterday I mordanted, today I dyed. At least it wasn’t a very extensive dyelot, so its over in a day.
Although Branston is asking why its raining in his bathtub cos he wants to play with his ping pong ball in there.
top row, fustic and persian berries in equal quantity. I used the natural dye extracts from wild colour for these because I’d never used them before and wanted to see what they were like. I’m quite impressed. Normally I get my veg dyes from george wiel/fibrecrafts, but I was a bit peeved with my last order. they do say on thier website that because natural dyes loose or gain moisture from the atmosphere there can be a 10% variation either way in wieght (so you’d sort of expect some to be over and some under), but when I wieghed the last lot I got from them every 100g bag was actaully 75 to 80g, which is a total rip off. I’m trying to order as little as I can from them these days – unfortunately they are the only ones who sell the really good madder.
2nd row, first and second wash madders. This was the wild colours madder, and its just not as nice a colour as I get from the fibrecrafts stuff. I might try thier madder extract next time though…
3rd row, 1st wash cochineal with iron. love the yummy purples from iron and cochineal, but this was deliberately done with a weaker bath than I normally use because of the effect the iron has
4th row, 2nd wash cochineal and alum
bottom, 3rd wash cochineal and iron, 3rd wash cochineal and alum
top row, 1st wash cochineal and iron overdyed with woad. 3rd wash cochineal and alum overdyed with one dip of woad – not the most exciting colour, it’s rather grey, but it may well turn out to useful
2nd row – yellow from the last picture overdyed with one, two and three dips of woad
bottom two rows – three dip woad. I wanted lots of uniform blue