still not quite perfect
I promise that the next post will be textile related.
Some of you may remember that two whole summers ago I was wibbling about what to do with a silver chalice I’d had on my workbench for a while becuase I’d got the top and bottom all out of proportion.
In the end I decided to make the top and bottom into two separate chalices. So this is the old bottom piece all decorated up and with a new bowl.
Sorry it still looks grubby. It’s going to have to be hand polished, which won’t happen until it’s been assayed, and that won’t happen until September because I need to finish the other chalice and a few bits to make a trip worthwhile (they have a minimum charge). I would have barrelled it in the itnerim but it’s too big for the barrel now.
I’m much happier with it, although the proportions are much less squat than the original it now seems more at ease with itself
There is some firestaining, but before I get the interior gilded I’ll have the whole thing silver plated to cover that up.
I was in two minds about the lettering around the brim but I’m glad I went ahead with it. The letters will look very smart once they’ve been picked out by oxidising them – I’d love to be able to use proper niello, but what with that being an extremely dangerous lead compound it’s just never going to be an option in my workshop. I have also concluded that I have to stick with machine engraving as I simply don’t have the strength in my hands for the other sort. sigh.
Overall, I’m giving myself a B- on this one. Mostly for effort.