I had a pleasantly different day today. Liz, the education officer at Kirkleatham museum, and myself did a trial run of a new workshop for the artsmark award scheme. We had a class from a local school we both know quite well, and used them as our guineapigs.
(Children make good guineapigs, being small, a bit squeaky, and with varying levels of hairness)
The idea was to make a copy of a replica Anglo Saxon ring to tie in with the museum’s display of the important Saxon finds from Streethouse, Loftus. Obviously soldering wasn’t an option, but luckily those obliging Saxons left several designs of twisted wire ring. Like this one
These are the two prototypes I knocked up in silver…
I refer to the one on the left as the as the swirly one, and the one on the right as the twirly one. The twirly one is actually a bit tricky, so I made the step by step worksheet up for the swirly one, and kept the twirly one in reserve for if they made faster progress than anticipated.
we used copper wire in a range of pretty colours, and although some of the results were more abstract than others, I think the results overall weren’t half bad.