Yesterday I cut out six shirts, ten tote bags, and a couple of skirts.
Then I spread the silk brocade out, wiggled it a bit, screamed at the pretty, squealed some more, and made Gareth come and admire just how pretty it was.
Then I measured it properly and discovered I had six and a half metres, rather than the six I thought I had, so I went back to drawing on graph paper for a bit.
Then shortly before dinner I finally got round to cutting out.
There really isn’t much of the silk left, just one row of about five circles.
its basically two straight rectangles front and back, two enormous semi circles for the skirts, two short rectangles for the side body, and sleeves. The sleeves and body panels will be lined, but not the skirts or side body- I’m lining the body because I’m worried about stressing the silk by side lacing the dress, so the lining will strengthen it ( the plum silk is very thick). I’m seriously considering making bias tape from the rest of the plum and using it to protect the hem, that way I can replace it if it gets snagged – people are idiots who do not understand why I get cranky when they stand on my skirts, because modern clothes are so cheap and nasty.
i also discovered that the brocade lines up perfectly at the edges for almost invisible piecing, which I don’t much need, but was very pleased by.
Also, if any of my uk reenactment friends can use it, I have two strips of silk leftover from revamping johns tunic. They would work perfectly as edging on a wool tunic, and allow the wearer to talk about patronage, and the value and reuse of fabric. I’m happy to send them anywhere in the uk, but obviously I shall expect a photo of what you do with them.