Unicorn kit

•June 2, 2017 • 17 Comments

Anyone want to buy a unicorn kit?

I decided to make some up for the imc this year. They’re a little bit bigger than the usual, more small cushion sized, so they’re £39 plus post. All natural dyed threads, of course, marked canvas, needle, instructions. Available with green, blue, purple or madder background.

there will be instructions for his pocket watch as well, or you can have him without.

leave a comment if you want one, and I’ll send a paypal invoice ( I tried to do a paypal buy button, but they seem to have changed the rules about adding plugins)

Studley bowl

•June 1, 2017 • 2 Comments

So, I’ve finished decorating the bowl. I also levelled the top off a bit, but not quite completely.

There is one tiny fault in the foot, a gap in the thick base wire I could fill if I had the nerve, but the trouble is this was my third attempt at attaching the foot. I melted the first two due to the inconsistent heat between foot and bowl. Having weighted the matter up, I’ve decided I can live with the gap far more than I can live with the fear of melting it again.

so, it’s pretty much ready to be assayed, then polished when it gets back. I’m going to use liver of sulphur to bring out the black lettering.

I’m concentrating on the lid now. I’ve bent out the flat edge, but it still looks like wonder woman’s nipple guard.

Its definitely big enough, and it’s sort of getting there. I’m going to planish it next to see if I can refine the shape and smooth it out a bit. Also see if I can get the nipple a bit more perky before I rivet a knob to it.

but if you look at the original…

I’m a bit confused where to go next with the very edge of the lid. My first thought was to bend the excess round and shape it as one piece. But the more I look, the more it seems that bit sticks up, which I think I’d have to do by soldering an extra rim on. I sort of don’t want to do that for many reasons, not least because it’s a bugger of a job, but also I think the bending thing would challenge me more and teach me.

All in all though, I think I’m just happy to be making progress after this things had about twelve years of thinking time. I could use the space on my workbench.

If you happen to be free this Saturday…

•May 30, 2017 • 2 Comments

Theres still one space left on the laid and couched work medieval beasties workshop at Nottingham Lakeside arts


Progress on studley bowl

•May 29, 2017 • 6 Comments

The shaped (still needs the rim trimming about 1mm on one side) bowl sat on my desk for almost a year before I worked up the nerve to start decorating it. I’ve been very slow because there’s so little room for error, so I’ve done one letter at a time, marked out the next and left it for a bit – I find my hands get tired and that’s when I start to cock things up.
im sure it will start to look more acceptable once I’ve scrubbed the sharpie marks off it and picked out the lettering with some liver of sulphur.
nervous again now because I have to work the bottom row, and it’s a much steeper slope.
in other news though, I think I might have finally worked out how to progress with the lid…
and yes, despite it having taken me nearly twelve years to be happy with the shape, it is ever so slightly wonky.

sometimes I’m very slow, I need thinking time.

He keeps biting my bum!

•May 26, 2017 • 2 Comments

It doesn’t exactly look like a symbiotic relationship, does it? I bet thier mum absolutely dreads long cart journeys, “mummeee, he’s over my side again!”

it did get me to the next roll along, though, so at least it’s progress.


Slinky wyrm wife.

•May 18, 2017 • 4 Comments

She went on one of those celebrity supermodel diets and got carried away.

I wasn’t sure about that dark purple background when I blocked her, but she looks nice now.

I’ve been meaning to post her all week but time seems to have slipped past me.

in other news young trouble had a trip to the vets this morning, because his testicles were getting a bit unsightly. Everyone at the vet is in love with the little tart..




•May 11, 2017 • Leave a Comment

If anyone from either of the ashmolean classes would like free tickets to the sewing and hobbycraft show at birmingham NEC in june, get in touch with Jude, as she has a code for two free tickets.

I can’t go. I mean, I’m technically free that weekend, but it’s the only weekend that month I’m not doing anything, and I know I’ll be too knackered