Finished hood and some creative darning
Two tiny little tears in the fabric, right round the face, which I’d not noticed when cutting out. To be fair this fabric is waste, I bought the piece for the large brocaded dragon woven into the centre, which I made into a cushion.
Now, I’m more than ordinarily proficient at this technique, and risked working this small area in hand. However, I strongly recommend that if you try this you tension your fabric using a small hoop( and that is pretty much the only time you’ll hear me advocating the use of a hoop).
I did consider working another patch over the back, but in the end decided this would make the fabric too thick.
I then worked over the laid and couched patches with split and stem stitches using simple motifs from Saxon metalwork that are shown in Wilson. The book shows a small group of these motifs, and I like them because they always remind me of Japanese mon.