Dyeing for the ashmolean
Had a panic dye session last week because I’d completely run out of blue wool, apart from the half skein in my personal work basket.
I did a kilo and a half of wool, dyers green weed, fustic, and onion, over dyed with indigo. I’m quite please because I’ve got some darker greens than I had already, which is useful.
I’ m quite excited to see how this works up. I had been using yarn from texere mill, but they went out of business last year, so I’ve been hunting around for a new source, and I’ve ended up with blue faced liescester from yarn Undyed. It’s more lustrous than the old stuff, and it rather brilliantly comes in 100g skeins, so I don’t have to spend days winding wool off cones and weighing it. I do still owe my stepmum £300 though, because she got it wholesale through dad’s business account and saved me a fortune. Actually I probably owe her £300 and a cake…
with my usual stunning organisational skill I managed to dye this at the last minute, so it only dried out enough to separate them out for students this morning.